Recognized as the cradle of sustainable development, the City of Victoriaville demonstrates initiative by supporting projects conducive to economic growth and social development while maintaining a strong environmental conscience.
In Victoriaville, the individual is the main focus. Promoting quality of life, Victoriaville offers a complete range of sports and cultural events to make the best of the four seasons at the centre of the magnificent Bois-Francs region. Thanks to a dynamic business community, breakthroughs in the area of recycling, and a vibrant community environment, Victoriaville is a rich hub of activity.
Download Adobe Flash Player
- Population: 41,389 inhabitants (2009)
- Working population: 19,000 people
- Area: 81,957 km²
- Population density: 493.3 persons/km2
- Unemployment rate: Under 5%
- Spoken languages: French (79.9%) and French/English (20.1%) (Statistics Canada 2006)
A flourishing, forward-moving economy
As the economic driver of the Bois-Francs region, Victoriaville includes a large number of dynamic, future-oriented businesses. With two industrial parks located next to the André-Fortin Regional Airport of Victoriaville and a modern conference centre, Victoriaville provides unique business opportunities, especially on account of its strategic geographic position providing easy access to the economic centres of Montréal, Québec, Trois-Rivières, and Sherbrooke.
In addition to being recognized for its expertise in recycling and sound waste management, the economic community of Victoriaville distinguishes itself in such reas as furniture making and milled wood, specialized transport, and machinery making. Companies the likes of Armatures Bois-Francs (metal products), Cercueils Vic Royal (wood products), and Parmalat (food and drink) are among the main industries that are the pride of the region.
Victoriaville is one of Québec's most advanced urban centres with its impressive rate of over 65% of residual materials diverted from landfill. Victoriaville's commitment to recycling dates back to the early 1980s when it became known throughout Québec for its efforts to promote recycling in the community. Moreover, the first youth training and recycling centre (CFER) was set up in Victoriaville, and there are now 17 such centres across the province. About 60% of the residential waste collected from urban homes in the Bois-Francs is recycled, a level that exceeds the 50% objective set by the Québec government for 2008. This is a clear demonstration of the efficiency of the regional system and the commitment of the local population to sustainable development and environmental protection.
The art of living
Dynamic, warm, and welcoming, Victoriaville is the capital of the Bois-Francs region.
This enchanting arrangement offers the kind of space that nature lovers go crazy for. Whether it is summer or winter, you will have no problems doing your favourite activity: golf, fishing, river canoeing, biking, hiking, skidoo and all-terrain-vehicle driving, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, dog sledding, etc.
Victoriaville is also a place for shopping, shows and movies, family restaurants, and fine dining specializing in local cuisine. There is so much going on that your life here will be a long series of stimulating activities!
The following are among the cultural and sports events you definitely do not want to miss:
- Concours solistes et petits ensembles (Music)
- Festival international de musique actuelle de Victoriaville (Experimental music and improvisation)
- Festival Rétro-Pop de Victoriaville (Retro music and antique cars)
- Fêtes victoriennes (Historical celebration)
- Grand week-end d'improvisation de Victoriaville (Improvisation)
- Le Boisé court toujours (Short films)
- Musée Laurier (Museum)
- Salon des arts des Bois-Francs (Visual arts and crafts)
- Victoriaville en chansons (Singing contest)
- Week-end en Blues (Blues)
- Tigres de Victoriaville (Hockey)
- Classique Le Lait Les Astéries (Women's basketball)
- Parc linéaire des Bois-Francs (Cycling, in-line skating, hiking)
- Tournoi international de soccer Desjardins et BuroPro (Soccer)
- Le Grand Défi de Victoriaville (Pentathlon)
- Parcours de golf (Golf)
- Tournoi de hockey novice Desjardins (Hockey)
Located in Centre-du-Québec and at the centre of the magnificent Bois-Francs region, Victoriaville is strategically positioned less than a 90-minute drive away from the cities of Montréal, Québec, Trois-Rivières, and Sherbrooke. The proximity of the American border and the St. Lawrence Seaway, as well as the presence of an airport make the region readily accessible.
- Latitude: 46°03′17″ N
- Longitude: 71°57′36″ W
How to get there
- By car
- From Montréal, 1 h 30 min. Take Highway 20 East, Exit 210.
Follow Highway 955 South and Route 122 East.
- From Québec City, 1 h. Take Highway 20 West, Exit 235 and Route 162 South.
- By plane
- André-Fortin Regional Airport in Victoriaville
City of Victoriaville
1 Notre-Dame Street West, P.O. Box 370
Victoriaville, Québec G6P 6T2
Telephone: 819 758-1571
Fax: 819 758-9292